Remove Fedora kernel
Step by step how to remove Fedora kernel
The example below show step by step how to remove Fedora kernel. On this step by step example we start from login on Fedora system and end up with the command to remove unwanted kernel from the Fedora system
1. Login on your Fedora box. Open x terminal by go to Activities -> Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal
2. and then issue su - command and enter root password when ask as show on example below
[jason@fedora ~]$ su -
Password: <-- Type in root password here and hit enter key
3. Then list Fedora kernel install on the system, by querying the rpm ( rpm -qa | grep ^kernel )as show on example below.
[root@fedora ~]# rpm -qa | grep ^kernel
4. Before we delete kernel or remove kernel, execute uname -r comand to check your current using kernel on the system (check kernel version). Make sure that you do not remove this current using kernel, or your system may left unbootable.
[root@fedora ~]# uname -r
5. Delete kernel... Remove kernel... This is the part or command that you need to execute to remove unwanted kernel... yum remove [package-name] package-name] [ ... ] and please choose wisely and execute the yum comand as show on example below (warning: do not remove kernel that currently use by the system)
[root@fedora ~]# yum remove kernel-devel-188.8.131.52-2.fc15.i686 kernel-PAE-devel-184.108.40.206-2.fc15.i686 kernel-PAE-220.127.116.11-2.fc15.i686
Now... Just hit enter key to start remove kernel process...
Keywords: remove kernel, remove fedora kernel, delete fedora kernel, delete kernel example